Samstag, Dezember 16, 2006

Are you married?


This is the question which inevitably follows the one about what you like about Turkey. If you say you are married, you will then be asked how many children you have. As a single person – particularly in rural areas – you are considered to be very exotic and unfathomable. I have also been asked what will happen to my house and gardens if I die and have no children.
In truth, this line of thought is not a bad one and the logic of the "köylü" (villagers) often impresses me. If I had been born in Anatolia 45 years ago instead of in Austria, I would certainly have had a family with a few children by now, perhaps even grandchildren! However, in Austria where parents and relatives do not arrange marriages, and there is no social pressure to marry, it is possible to “miss” opportunities and remain single. However, you can live a meaningful, happy and fulfilled life as a single person, if you believe in Jesus.

Keine Kommentare: